Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Smartest Rapper?

          This semester in walking to my different classes at Texas A&M University, I have noticed several abnormal gatherings of people on campus advertising various people, events, and religions. All of these make up our culture, but they do so in different ways. The things on campus that catch my eye are the abnormal and curious things for example, Reginald Stuckey wrapping to his different wraps while standing on benches mostly around the academic plaza area.



          Little did I know that this courageous and exceptionally gifted man can do much more than just wrap extremely well – he has a doctorate in sociology! When Dr. May is not teaching or grading exams, he spends his time writing and recording rap music. Today there is a push in society to be able to create in lots of different ways. One way is creating music. That’s right, rap is music.

          If you ask my parents, or say even my grandparents, they may tell you that rap is not music. Funny enough, it really is because I can prove it. When my parents were my age my grandparents (their parents) thought that the only music was classical. Obviously today both my parents and I believe Bruce Springsteen as being a famous music artist. The same thing is happening with rappers like Reginald Stuckey.

          As culture evolves, it looks like other music genres like techno are on the rise. If you notice, the Black Eyed Peas use lots of techno in all of their new songs. Who knows what the next popular music genre will be, but I am sure that rappers, like Stuckey, will always be remembered just like Bruce Springsteen was in my parents’ generation.

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of Dr. May until now. How fascinating. And I agree with your analysis of generations view music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to see Dr. May on campus, but will definitely be on the look out for him now that you have said something! Also, I agree with your claim that rap is a genre of music, older people just might not think so because it is so vastly different than what they are used to.

    ReplyDelete